On protection

17 July 2009


I don't know if I'm really back yet or not. I suspect not. I'm still not settled at my final destination in this long, elaborate move and Richard and I still haven't had the chance to meet. For those reasons, I still think I'll struggle for things to write. But this one topic kept coming into my mind.

I know it's probably foolish to ask for opinions when I've been gone for so long and everyone who used to read this has probably moved on, but I'm going to give it a shot. I really would love to know what other Doms and subs think about this issue.

I keep wondering if protection is essential to a D/s relationship. I know safety is, of course, but how many subs could really submit to someone they didn't feel could protect them? Doms, do you feel like that's an unnecessary part of your role?

The more I think about it, the more I realise I need it. Well, no. I don't need protection. But I need to feel protected for a relationship to last. And it doesn't even really have to be actual physical protection. But I need to feel like someone is standing up for me. Like there is someone to trust and lean on no matter what is happening. I suppose it's all part of having support.

I keep asking myself why this is so important. After all, I've always been a very independent woman. I've been the protector for as long as I can remember. Why do I feel like I need that protection now?

I can only come up with one answer: If I can't rely on the person I'm with, what's the point in being in the relationship?

It's true, I can protect myself. I don't need anyone else to give me strength and help me stand. But it's nice to have that extra strength. And if I'm being independent on this issue, why shouldn't I be independent entirely?

I could (and often have) done the independent thing in vanilla relationships. It certainly didn't work out that well. It would be suicide to try it in a D/s relationship. Is that just me? Or do other people feel like it's necessary as well?

2 comments:

butterfly said...

I think it's necessary as well, to be dependent upon your Master, to feel protected and supported no matter what. For me, it's some of what makes the relationship so good. I know Master will always support me; emotionally, physically, in any way I need it. In a way, I guess, I feel like it's part of their job, or their role, to be the protector, the boss. And to take it a step further, I think that's one reason so many subs/slaves call their Master's Daddy. I mean, that is the role of a daddy.

butterfly

Paradise Lost said...

*smiles* Thank you for commenting butterfly. I agree, like you I think it's part of their job. I think some part of me feels guilty though for wanting or needing it to be there. I suppose it's really only when it's a natural instinct for a man rather than something he feels he's supposed to do.

Post a Comment