On monotony... er, monogamy

25 April 2009


I was talking to Maria the other day about her new boyfriend. Man, when she falls she falls hard. *grins* But I'm ridiculously happy for her.

She was talking about places where their interests differ. I'm incredibly impressed with this man (who I got to meet for a day) for several reasons, but particularly because while he may not be especially kinky, he is very open to experimentation. It's the difference between willing and wanting, I think. But anyway, she said one of the few differences was that he would consider threesomes or swinging, and she has no interest at all in sharing. It surprised me a little because I know she's done it before, and she's not generally possessive or self-conscious.

But it got me thinking and I realised that I've really never been particularly monogamous. That said, I've never cheated on the man I was with. Well, unless you count what I'm doing at the moment, and I guess you have to. But anyway, I just always assumed that there will be more men in my life. I would much prefer my partner to be on board about it though.

But at the same time, polyamory is out too. At least in terms of two or more relationships on the go at once. Having one partner and other play partners is fine. But I can't imagine actually having a relationship with more than one person.

I have poly friends and I've known several people who incorporated another regular person in to their relationship and I just don't think I could handle it. For me, the only way it would work would be to have my Dom and I as the core couple, in love and full of trust, who just happen to have a few guest stars in their bed from time to time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment