On daily lives

25 March 2009

Does daily life get in the way of a relationship, or deepen it? I'm not talking about the significant parts of daily life, but the random shit that we all do.

I hate the question "how was your day?" Because more often than not, nothing of note happened. And if it did, I'm likely to tell someone about it before they ask about my day. There is an episode of Futurama where the answer to that question was "Well, first I got up and I had a piece of toast. Then I brushed my teeth....." and so on. None of that matters! But if I'm asked, somehow I find myself talking about all that crap anyway. I blame my mother. *chuckles*

It occurred to me that Richard and I don't do that. He has never asked me how my day was, and I love him for it. It seems like if you don't ask the question, you can still talk about the minutia of your day if you want, but you don't feel like you're searching for something to say.

But actually, just last night I was thinking that there's a lot that he and I don't talk about. We might talk about how much he hates his sister-in-law or what commercials play on the radio at 4am, but somehow we skip over the bigger things. Sometimes I tell him when I have a new client, but I often forget to mention when I've stopped seeing them. Sometimes I don't mention when I go away for a weekend and he forgets to tell me that his dad has offered to pay for his trip over here.

I'm not sure if that's good or bad. *smiles* Anyway, last night I mentioned this phenomenon in my journal, which he isn't reading at the moment because he still doesn't have an internet connection. I talked to him today and an hour in to the conversation he says "I went to a wedding yesterday." I was a bit surprised because I had spoken to him two days ago and he hadn't mentioned any wedding.

I asked him about it, and it turned out that two of his best friends had gotten married... people that he talks about all the time. I remember when they got engaged, but there was never a mention of a wedding! I could only shake my head and laugh a little.

I just have to wonder if this is a result of only really seeing each other online and not being together in real life, or if this is something that would carry over if we were really together. I'm not sure it really matters, but it would be a little odd if we never talked about the big things if we were living together.

0 comments:

Post a Comment